The History of EBOG FC

The idea of forming an Old Boys Football Club was due primarily to the interest and enthusiasm of the Headmaster in maintaining the annual football match between the School 1st XI and an Old Students XI. Also to Mike Brazier who has been a driving force behind the Club for nearly 60 years and can still be seen at the Club quite often today.

In 1948 we entered 2 teams in the Old Boys Football League. Our home ground was Ludgrove which was in superb condition in those days maintained by the school groundsman. Teams had to change at the school and walk a mile to the ground. Only one player had a car, a 2 seater, and that had to carry the corner flags, nets and balls!

Many years and trophies later we have peaked at 9 sides plus Youth and a Ladies team. A Clubhouse was built at Ludgrove in 1958 only to be converted into the current changing rooms after we built a bigger and better Clubhouse at Alan Drive in 1962. Other milestones along the way were an unparalleled run of success in the early 70s led by Bob Sims including the 1st team going 52 league games without defeat and EBOG had undoubtedly become a top side in AFA football selected to enter the Amateur Cup and FA Vase for several years.

We moved to the Southern Amateur League in 1977 and surged up to Division 1 in just 2 seasons and were unlucky not win the Division in 1980/81 season.

During this time there were not enough players coming from the School to maintain 9 sides and the Club was opened up to be a community sports club. A lot of local kids were kicking a ball about on our field during their evenings and school holidays and they were encouraged to join when they were old enough. Success of this policy is shown by the fact that 3 of these 'local lads' recently made it to the 1st team.